Saturday, 9 August 2008

Mermaid Class & Kitset Harp

Went to the Mermaid Quilt Class at JilliaNZ this morning. Still don’t feel like I’m getting my money’s worth, but I did at least get some sewing done this time. It’s starting to come together, but my sewing machine was misbehaving on both the black and white bobbin thread. Once I wound top thread on the bobbin it worked better. I think it may be service time! Stopped in at Spotlight on the way home to get some more thread. 3 paystations – 2 in the fabric areas, 1 at the door – all with at least 5 customers. Crap service as usual, with not enough staff. I want to try to do some more sewing on this tomorrow.

Kitset Harp: Spent the afternoon playing with my harp. Got out my new, dinky belt sander and loaded it up with 180 grit paper. It’s made of multiple layers of plywood, with a “birch” facing, and pine framing on the soundboard. Worked on the edges to round them off. Then Becca and I went to Mitre 10 and bought Wattyl Wood Gel “Mulberry” woodstain, and Wattyl Estapol Satin Polyurethane. The gel spread really well with just a foam speedbrush, but boy oh boy, was it RED! GLOW IN THE DARK RED! Got some of my husbands’ black acrylic paint, diluted it to a grey puddle with water, and rubbed it onto the wood with a soft, lint-free cloth. This took the red right down, and gave it an “aged” patina. I gave it 1 coating of polyurethane, and now it’s stinking out my craftroom. But at least I’ve started it. I’ll be able to give it a second coating tomorrow, and maybe string it during the week – Oh WOW! The pictures show the soundbox hanging from the light fitting, and the pillar sitting on a large sheet of MDF. Might need more black before the second coating of Poly.

No comments: